If you have had your basement fill up with water from a rainstorm or a flooding body of water, you will want to work swiftly in removing the water before it damages the interior of your home. Leaving water can cause drywall to crumble and wood to deteriorate. Here are some instructions you can use as a guideline in removing water and getting your home back to its pre-flood state quickly.
Be Safe In The Process
Check to make sure that the main power source is shut off so there is no chance of someone becoming injured from water getting inside electrical sockets or on wiring. Anyone who is going to be helping in the water removal process should be dressed with clothing that will repel water, such as waders or waterproof boots. Gloves should be worn when working with the water as well. Flood water can harbor bacteria and mold spores, so it is best to keep it off of skin.
Water Removal Methods
Since the power has been shut off, an alternate method of electricity will need to be found if you want to use a water pump to get water out of your basement. There are special power adapters that plug into your vehicle, converting your engine power into electricity. If you cannot find one of these, see if a neighbor has a long extension cord to plug in your pump.
If you are using a bucket method, you will want helpers, as it will take several trips to remove all of of the water from your home. Make sure the water is diverted away from the foundation so it has no way of re-entering your home.
Drying The Basement
After water is removed, you will want to begin the drying process. This can be done by leaving windows and doors open to gain cross-ventilation. You may need to wait several days before most surfaces will feel dry. Take out any furniture and place the pieces upside-down outdoors to allow the water to seep out, drying the piece in the process. If you have carpeting, you will either want to remove it completely to avoid a mold buildup, or you will want to hire a professional carpet cleaner to come in and remove any liquid trapped in the fibers.
After everything has dried thoroughly, you will want to go through the entire room with a bucket of water mixed with bleach. Sponge it on every surface that was touched by water. The bleach will kill any bacteria that may be on your items from the standing water. After cleaning with bleach, do the same procedure with a mildew remover to help remove any mold spores that are trapped in the home.
For more information, or if you would like professional assistance, contact a water damage restoration specialist in your area.Share
13 January 2015
Saving money is important in a home with six children. As they grow, the bills seem to grow with them. After paying a particularly high energy bill, I decided that enough was enough. I researched ways that I could make my home more energy efficient without spending a ton of money. To help other parents in the same boat, I created this blog. Helpful tips, such as replacing your home's windows, can save you a great deal of money in the long run. Hopefully, the information provided here can also help preserve the environment and make it a better place for our children.